Nigeria @ 63: No World Leader Invited, Says FG

The Federal Government has revealed that, no world leader had been invited for the 63rd independence anniversary scheduled for October 1.
The government said the decision was taken in line with its option for a low-key celebration.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, stated this during a press conference in Abuja.
He said, “Low keyed celebration has nothing to do with whether we’re not doing well. Economic times are hard, we are looking at it not just at the national level but also as a family. We have not invited world leaders. During the inauguration of the President 53 world leaders were invited, so we have not invited any world leader. The report of the investigator for CBN will soon be ready for the public.
Orile Agege Residents Counter LCDA Chairman, Say PUNCH Video Not Old
“As you are aware, the President has given his approval for this 63rd anniversary to be low-key in line with the present economic realities. The theme of the anniversary is “Nigeria @ 63, Renewed Hope for Unity & Prosperity.”
Speaking on national interest, he said, “We have all agreed to live a united peaceful, united, prosperous country, despite our diversity. Without these, no nation can move forward. Government is making sure our national interest is not undermined.”
According to him, the celebration is particularly important at this time having witnessed an unbroken democratic record since 1999 as well as the seamless, successful and peaceful presidential transition programme from one government to another.
“Despite political tremors and a wave of coups in some parts of the ECOWAS sub-region, Nigerians have fully embraced democracy with its core values and practices as the best form of governance. Democracy affords the citizens the opportunity through elective structures and processes to effectively participate in the affairs of their country.

Leave a Comment